Last Updated on: 3rd Jan’21
21 countries where Indian driving licence is valid but you need to acquire an international driving permit.
Travelling is one of the very few things in the world that has the power to change a person. You realise that there are new opportunities to discover these compel you to set foot on untouched territories. Even Scientific research supports the notion that travel, not possessions, makes you happier. And if you want to know whose life changed after travelling, then search for Cheryl Strayed, Che Guevara, Steve Jobs, George ‘The Beatle’ Harrison, Elizabeth Gilbert etc.
Whether it will change your life or not, travelling is by far one of the best ways to get to know yourself and come back refreshed, relaxed, knowledgeable and empathetic. And to know a place better you should take a road trip. Driving is the best way to travel and explore any country. You are in full control of your journey. You stop for a break when you want to, to enjoy a scene or make a quick getaway to the next destination in store. One of the biggest advantages is that we get an unhindered view of the countryside. Facilities for renting a car out is available almost everywhere. Now all you need is to know where you can drive with your Indian driving license. Find out here which are the countries where Indian driving licence is valid.
List of 21 Foreign Countries That Accept Indian Driving Licence
Know Which countries accept an Indian driving licence?
Here you can check the list of 21 countries where Indian driving licence is valid. You do not need an international licence to drive but you can use your Indian driving licence.
- United States of America- you can use your Indian driving license to drive in the USA for an entire year. In case your driving license is not issued in the English language, then you are required to carry Form I-94 to declare your arrival date in the States. You might also be asked to provide with an International Driving Permit in some parts of the country.
- Australia- this country allows you to drive with the Indian driving license in New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Region, South Australia, and the Capital Region. But the license is valid only for 3 months and should be in the English language. In addition to the DL, you will also need an International Driving Permit. You will be allowed to drive only the class that is mentioned in your license.
- Malaysia- besides English, this country accepts a driving license that is in the Malay language. You can drive in the country with an International Driving Permit. Or, you can also seek authorisation from the Indian Embassy.
- France- driving on the roads of France is possible for 1 year. The country follows a right-hand driving, which is different from the left-hand driving followed in India. Though the country accepts Indian driving license, your license needs to be in French to be usable in France.
- Germany- you can drive in this country for a period of 6 months. The country does not ask for an International Driving Permit, so you can drive freely here. But remember to get a German or English copy of your license as that is what the authorities demand.
- The United Kingdom– you can drive on the roads of the UK for 1 year with an Indian driving license. But the country limits your driving to only the class of vehicle that is indicated in your driving license. The parts of the country where you can drive include Scotland, England, and Wales.
- Mauritius- driving with an Indian license is permitted in this country only for 1 day as that is enough to roam in this beautiful island. But you need your license to be translated into the English language. Also, you must have an International Driving Permit to be able to drive vehicles in Mauritius.
- Bhutan- this peaceful country lets you drive two as well as four-wheelers with your Indian driving license. But along with a valid license, you also need to carry an International Driving Permit to be able to drive here.
- Switzerland- driving a rented car is possible in Switzerland if you have an English copy of your Indian driving license. You can use your license to travel for 1 year at any location within the country.
- Hong Kong- it is possible to drive on the roads of this country with an Indian driving license. You can drive for a year, but you will definitely need to support your license with a driving permit.
- Canada- this place that is highly populated by Indians accepts Indian driving license. You can drive for 3 months with the license. Once the validity of the license is over, you need to apply for a Canadian License.
- Finland- you can roam around this happy country with an Indian driving license for 1 year. But a mandatory requirement here is that you obtain a health insurance. And it is the insurance that will determine the validity of your license.
- Norway- known as the land of Northern Lights, this exotic place allows its tourists to enjoy the beauty of the land on self-driven vehicles. You can use your Indian driving license for as long as 3 months to travel across this amazing country.
- New Zealand- the legal driving age in this country is 21 years, so you cannot travel driving your car if you are not of the legal age. Traveling around the country is possible with an Indian driving license. But you cannot use it beyond 1 year. You are also required to have an English copy of the license.
- Sweden- driving is possible in Sweden for tourists if they have a valid international driving license. An Indian license is accepted for 1 year. But you need to get your license translated into Swedish German, English, French, or Norwegian for authorities to give you a go-ahead.
- Spain- take a taste of the cultural heritage of this country through road expeditions. You can rent and drive vehicles using an Indian driving license. The license is accepted for 6 months post registering for residency. But your license needs to be in the English language, and you also need to produce an ID proof when asked for.
- Singapore- this country allows visitors to use their international driving license to travel across the country. You can drive with an Indian driving license for 1 year. However, you do need an International Driving Permit issued by a Regional Transport Officer.
- South Africa- this wild land gives a scope to the visitors to explore its beauty and adventure on road with an international license. You can use an Indian driving license only when it is in the English language. In addition, you also need an International Driving Permit to rent a car.
- Iceland- this country permits travelers to move around in rented vehicles with an international license that is issued in Canada, US, and the European Economic Area. An Indian driving license is accepted when translated into English language.
- Italy- driving in Italy with an Indian driving license is possible only when it is accompanied by an International Driving Permit. Like most permits, you can drive around with the permit for a maximum of 1 year.
- Ireland- this country accepts driving license issued by EU or EEA countries as well as those outside the European Union. The license is valid for 1 year, post which you need to obtain Ireland driving license.
Content sources link:
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding countries where Indian driving licence is valid
You need to follow these steps to get an International Driver’s licence permit in India so that you can drive in the countries where Indian driving licence is valid:
1:— Go online at
2:— Select online services
from the drop-down menu
4:— Select your state
5:— On the left of your screen you will see a menu, click on apply online
6:— From the drop-down menu, choose/click Services on driving license
7:— Click on continue to proceed to next page
8:— Fill details and proceed (Address on your passport and licence should be same. If it is different, then select Services, IDP and change in DL)
9:— Enter mobile no, Aadhar no, blood group etc. and confirm
10:— Select services and proceed
11:— Fill forms, upload required documents and make payment of Rs.1000 for IDP and Rs.1200 for IDP + Change in address
12:— Take the print out of payment receipt, pre-filled form, which will include form 1 and form 1A, get it filled and signed by an MBBS doctor, Self-attest the supporting documents and upload.
13:— Take your documents to RTO with your original Passport, Visa, License in between 10.30–2.30 get it signed by the officer and submit it.
14:— Go with your receipt to collect it from RTO in the evening
Now that you’ve got the licence to
thrill drive, you know the countries where Indian driving licence is valid, how about the money to pay for petrol/gas. By money, we mean the currency of the country you’re in. Well, we at, BookMyForex can help you with that. Just fill the form at the top of this page and you have all the licences to thrill…